Iowa has long been recognized as a world insurance leader across the industry's life, health, property and casualty, and financial services sectors. Home to thousands of insurance and finance companies statewide, the Global Insurance Symposium, and the Global Insurance Accelerator, Iowa has made a name for itself as an industry innovator.
- The Iowa Department of Workforce Development reports the insurance industry employs 44,777 workers.
- The Iowa insurance industry accounted for about $4.9 billion in compensation paid in 2018.
- The insurance industry contributed $17.3 billion to the Iowa gross state product (GSP) in 2017, accounting for 9.52 percent of the state GSP.
- Premium taxes paid by insurance companies in Iowa totaled $153.4 million in 2019.
- Each and every day, life insurers paid out $22.8 million in life insurance and annuities to Iowa families and businesses providing critical income in retirement, providing long-term care and disability income when work is no longer possible and providing income during time off to care for family.
- Each and every day, health and managed care insurers paid out $332.1 million in claims and expenses to Iowans and their families.